Followers

Friday 28 October 2016

Blanching vegetables for later


I found a bunch of reduced brussels sprouts in Waitrose and decided to buy them to freeze for later. Lots of vegetables are quite cheap at the moment and will increase in price as we get nearer Christmas and into the Winter so doing this can save quite a bit of money.

Vegetables need to be blanched before you can freeze them and this involves adding them to boiling water for a few minutes and then cooling them rapidly. The you are supposed to open freeze them so they will be free flowing out of the packet when you need them. I never bother with this stage but just package them in serving portions for 4, so I can get a whole packet out when I need them.

Of course the best savings are with vegetables you have grown yourself, so I'll be aiming to do more of that next year !

No comments:

Post a Comment