Followers

Thursday 12 October 2017

Treat your own Back !


Fifteen years ago, when I had just had MasterShoestring I slipped a disc in my back. It was very painful for 6 weeks and I had to sleep on the floor at the foot of the bed instead of in it ! On Monday I bent over forwards to pick up a laundry basket full of washing and my back has been painful since ! Yes, I know the proper technique for lifting, but until my back gets sore I usually don't bother, maybe I should !!

Yesterday morning it was still really bad and I decided that I would have to go back to doing back exercises ! The ones in this book are excellent and have saved me a lot of money in physiotherapy bills over the years. I did find physiotherapy very helpful all those years ago but now I know what to do myself, it does save quite a bit !

First thing, is doing the special exercises. Second thing, protect your back by sitting and lifting correctly, I think I shall be paying much more attention to this one in future. Third thing, only take painkillers if you can't sleep at night, otherwise you will be tempted to do too much ! Fourth thing, take gentle exercise rather than resting.

I have been doing all those things since yesterday and I can already feel an improvement, much quicker and cheaper than waiting for an appointment ! Now all I have to remember is to continue to follow my own advice !

3 comments:

  1. I take my back for granted too! Experienced some trouble over the summer after doing some work in the garden. I find the yoga videos on YouTube to be excellent in helping relieve any back pain. I have to be more conscious now I'm over 40!! �� Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have bad back and neck at the moment, this morning I have been down to the shed and on the inversion table.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both of these sound like something I should try !!

    ReplyDelete