Followers

Tuesday 20 February 2018

Handy Clippers !


I cut MrShoestring's hair on Sunday afternoon using a pair of clippers very like these ones which we bought from Boots on our return from the USA, about nine and a half years ago. MrShoestring goes to the barber about twice a year and the rest of the time I keep it tidied up. However, the last time he went to the barber they charged him £15 ! I think they knew that it was poor value for money as they offered him a free eyebrow trim as well. MrShoestring thinks that he can trim his own eyebrows and was curious as to whether the clippers had been a good buy and if so, why weren't we using them all the time ?

So I did a bit of research. I think we paid £9.99 for the clippers and a similar pair today with scissors, different combs for the clippers and some oil to keep them working cost £12, so not much different there. At that rate they are very much a worthwhile frugal purchase as with even one home haircut you will have saved the purchase price. There are lots of instructional videos on YouTube about how to clip hair and I have yet to nick any flesh, so it seems quite safe !

Now haircuts were cheaper ten years ago but even so, with an average of 6 cuts a year we have saved MrShoestring over 50 trips to the barber and several hundred pounds. A real frugal win ! Maybe it really is time to stick with all home haircuts !

4 comments:

  1. We cut our own hair for many years, it was something neither of us particularly looked forward to doing, but it kept us neat and tidy when we didn't have the money to pay for a professional job. We both go to a salon/ barber now and it still feels like a real luxury.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I know the feeling ! I last had my hair cut a year ago and I'm just trying to decide to a) have a go myself b) try the local college or c) pay £15 at the local walk-in place !

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband uses clippers to shave his head. I go after him to catch the spots he misses. I have shoulder length, curly hair. One day, I asked my husband if he would trim my hair straight across. He did a marvelous job! I trim the front and side edges. With the curls, I don’t think anyone notices. As you said, this saves loads of money!
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so great that you can help one another !

    ReplyDelete