Followers

Tuesday 28 March 2017

Salsa !


At the start of the month I bought 2 jars of salsa for MrShoestring to have with his beans and tortillas on a Saturday night ! Both times the salsa in the jars has grown a layer of fluffy mould before we could finish the jar ! The children pointed out that it says on the label that the salsa will only last 3 days in the fridge but that seems very wasteful to me and I have not had this problem with the out of date jars I have previously ordered from Approved Foods ! Initially we made salsa ourselves to keep the salt content low so I'm going back to that, here's the recipe which does not go bad in the fridge !

4 cups tinned tomatoes
2-3 tbsp lemon juice
1 large onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, chopped
2 tbsp fresh coriander leaves, chopped
1 small jalapeƱo pepper if you like hot salsa otherwise you can add a small chopped sweet pepper
ground salt and pepper to taste.

Cook all the ingredients in a large pan over a medium heat for 20 minutes. Eat fresh with homemade tortillas and store the rest in the fridge or freezer ! This is so easy I don't why I didn't just keep on making it !

2 comments: