Followers

Wednesday 11 July 2018

Busy in the Garden still !


We are very proud of the first cucumber of the year ! Along with the first courgette, 48 bulbs of garlic, another pound of red currants and 2 more pounds of blackcurrants that means that the fridge is stuffed with fruit and vegetables.

I'm still trying to decide what to do with the currants. I think I'll make some more redcurrant jelly with the red ones but there aren't enough of the black ones to make cordial. I've still got more than half of a blackcurrant cheesecake in the freezer and we still have bags of frozen ones from last year. Not to mention several jars of blackcurrant jam. I'm thinking about maybe freezing them just now and waiting for some more to make cordial. Or even better idea might be to deforest those old ones and use both lots to make cordial !

Ah, inspiration strikes, I'm off to make cordial !

4 comments:

  1. Can you dehydrate currants, I know the things we call currants (as in currants and raisins) aren't from blackcurrants but maybe they'd taste nice and even if you haven't a dehydrator, I'll bet a screen over a tray of them on a hot day would work. Of course they might not taste great, we dehydrated some cherry plums last year as an experiment. Huge fail, so sour even though they were delicious fresh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is something I hadn't thought of, definitely worth a try with all the hot weather around ! Many thanks for the idea !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Making jam was the first thing that came into my head for your store of last year's black currants. I usually use up all my previous year's fruit by making jam. It usually sets in the expected way and I often combine fruit ending up with some interesting varieties.
    You could also look at Joy's (diary of a retired teacher) frugal food blog. She posted a frozen fruit recipe on it 2 or 3 weeksago which sounded delicious.
    Sue.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe you could exchange your surplus with someone in a similar situation?
    Pam

    ReplyDelete