Followers

Friday 20 October 2017

Frugal Friday


This week we had several wins on the frugal front that we don't often have, so I was very happy about that !

The first one was ordering a watch battery online and then fitting it myself. Nothing went wrong and the watch is back on my wrist keeping perfect time. Another bonus was we found a spare watch in the cash box whilst I was waiting for the battery to arrive, so I shan't need a new one if the current one ever stops working !

The second win was going shopping late one night and finally picking up some reduced price bargains, including strawberries. These are now safely packed away in the freezer, apart from a couple of sandwiches which MrShoestring took for lunch this week.

The third win was from our generous grape growing neighbour who gifted us 6kg of grapes to make grape juice from. He has says that he has so many things made from grapes stored away in his pantry that he is thinking that he'll be alright for jam and juice for at least 5 years ! So we were very happy to benefit from the excess.

I also picked some tomatoes and raspberries from the garden and even a few more peas. It is lovely to still have some produce coming in. I also made tortillas, bread, lemon drizzle cake, jacket potatoes, granola, salsa and refried beans.

My Dad visited from the USA for a couple of days and we gave him his Christmas presents to take back with him, saving at least £12 in postage and possibly more. This was something I was planning to do this month so glad I remembered. He did the same, so I think that might be where my 'frugal' gene comes from !

I did back exercises all week to save on a visit to the physiotherapist and also found a cushion which I can use for a back wedge in the car, saving £32 on buying one! I downloaded a free ebook for the Kindle and mended a piece of clothing. I took all my food and drink to college and was jolly glad not to stand in a queue when all the sessions over-ran this week !

I am looking forward to a peaceful weekend and half term next week !

3 comments:

  1. My school Holiday tip: a list of achievements that the children tick off. This could be things they will enjoy...go swimming, ride bike around park, build something using every piece of your Lego. Then there are things that YOU want them to do e.g. Try two new foods, wash up after lunch, clean your school shoes. Then things they can achieve when out with you such as find six different leaves, do a bark rubbing ...etc etc. I also added things that helped with schoolwork like write a two page story. The achievements can be done anytime in the holiday and if they tick them all off, there can be a little prize at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea ! Thank you so much for sharing !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just realised -I added this comment to the wrong post!!

    ReplyDelete