Followers

Thursday 20 September 2018

A Good Read


I'm reading this epic book at the moment, at 850 pages it should keep me busy for a while. I was reading something else and asked MrShoestring whether it was any good, as he has just finished it. He said it was excellent and I liked "Pillars of the Earth" so I thought I would give it a go, as my other book was boring. Well I'm hooked !

It's a saga set just before and after the First World War but it takes an international perspective and looks at how things were changing in the UK, the USA, Russia and German as well as other parts of the world. It is very well researched and deals with the lives of ordinary people as well as the 'movers and shakers'. I love a book that teaches me more about history.

The great thing is that it cost nothing as we got it from the library and there are two other books in the series ! All the books are very long and engrossing, so ideal for whiling away a blustery afternoon or a dark evening. Better than watching TV or surfing the internet ! Even better the next two are also available from the library, so I'm off to fetch book number 2 for MrShoestring. Only hope he reads fast enough that I can get the next one as soon as I'm finished with this one !!

Have you any books you would recommend ?

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for your book recommendation yesterday. I read your post and ordered the book from our mobile library by 8.20. By 12 I had been to the library and they had the book on board for me!
    How's that for service! Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That's impressive ! I wish our library service was that efficient ! I hope that you enjoy the book as much as I am.

    ReplyDelete