Followers

Tuesday 11 September 2018

Harvest !

It's getting to that time of year when we need to think about taking some things out of the vegetable beds so yesterday I went harvesting ! I wasn't expecting a lot as I know that the long hot spell has meant that lots of the plants have been under  stress. We did water but the two weeks we were away were jolly hot and MissShoestring only managed out for some watering at the weekends.


So I was pleased to find a few beetroot, which were cooked up and served warm with a chicken pot pie for supper !


Then there were quite a few turnips which were chopped up and cooked ready for the freezer and useful for winter casseroles !


Finally, some butternut squash, which are now hardening off outside, ready for storage in the larder. We are really pleased with these as this is out first time growing them !

Now, I just need to decide what to plant in the spaces that are available now we've pulled out all these plants. I think a bit of lettuce and rocket under a cold frame might be a good idea !


No comments:

Post a Comment