Followers

Monday 17 September 2018

Selling on Gumtree v Giving Away on Freegle


Over the past few weeks I've been trying to get rid of some of the clutter left in the garage by the oldest two. I started off with trying to sell the items on Gumtree.

I had a boy's bike, a desk, a kitchen bin, a dismantled wardrobe, a red wall unit and a violin. Only the violin sold on Gumtree and even then I and to arrange and pay for courier transport. I did get the asking price and two people were interested but I didn't think that was very good. I then posted all the items left as FREE on Gumtree and got some interest for the bike. Same problem though they couldn't collect, could we bring it to the station ? We agreed and went off to the station with the bike in the back of the car at 9pm on a Friday night ! No-one arrived to collect it and then they called and asked where we were ? They had gone to the wrong station ! So that was a bust !

After that I posted all the items that were left on Freegle. I got lots of interest for the bin and the dismantled wardrobe, so they went quickly ! Eventually the bike and the desk went after a few days waiting for transport to be organised !

So now I only have the red wall unit to get rid of and I am going to see if the British Heart Foundation furniture collection service will come and get it and they can try and sell it in one of their shops.

My conclusion, Freegle beats Gumtree as it is local and mostly people will come and collect. But if you want no hassle then you might just be better off arranging a furniture collection from a charity. We were surprised that no-one wanted the wall unit but that lots of people wanted a wardrobe they would have to put together themselves. I guess even with free furniture there are fashion considerations !



No comments:

Post a Comment