Followers

Monday 21 August 2017

Making Apple Pie Filling in the Slow Cooker


We decided to pick all the apples off one tree to stop the animals getting at them. This gave me half a laundry basket full of apples. Some of them have been eaten, some used in chutney but before they start to go bad it is time to put them in the freezer.

I always do this by cooking them down to make stewed apple as this takes up less room and is ideal for pies and crumbles in the Winter. Last year I discovered that it is much less work and cheaper to do this in the slow cooker.

I peel and slice the apples and place them in the slow cooker until the cooker is full. You can add a cup full of water if the apple is a bit dry, I usually do this with russets but not with the other sorts. Then turn the cooker on HIGH and leave for 4 hours. When you come back give the apple a stir and you have perfect stewed apple.

Right, off to peel some more !



4 comments:

  1. Sounds good, I have the slow cooker out again today, sausage casserole for 2 days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm ! Sausage casserole, would love to have a recipe for that !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just chuck anything on it differs, today I put in sausages obviously 😀, carrots, onion, courgette, leek, peppers, stock, Tom puree, seasoning, fresh sage and thyme, served with mash, I did enough casserole and mash for tomorrow as well.

      Delete
  3. Eloise thisissixty.blog21 August 2017 at 14:01

    Great idea re the apples. I don't like food (i.e. meals) cooked in the slow cooker but this would be fine. I use mine for keeping stuff hot such as gravy or custard when family visit. Eloise

    ReplyDelete