Followers

Thursday 14 September 2017

Is picking blackberries worth it ?


All the blackberries in the garden are finished now and I'm just picking raspberries. We used to pick large, cultivated blackberries at the end of the lane but the council mowed down the patch last Summer. There is another big patch about 10 minutes walk away but the berries are not so big or sweet. I wondered if it was still worth going to pick them ?

So yesterday I walked there and picked for half an hour, choosing only the shiniest, largest berries. I weighed them when I got home and discovered that I had picked two and a half pounds. I converted the weight into grammes and then used my supermarket.com to price comparison with the cheapest blackberries the nearest supermarket had. It turned out the cheapest berries were frozen and cost £2 for 350g. At that rate the ones I had picked myself were worth just under £13 and will probably taste better too !

I decided that the scratches and off nettle sting are definitely worth it and will return to pick some more tomorrow ! Walking briskly to get home after the rain started also gave me my exercise for the day !!

2 comments:

  1. They are a crazy price in the supermarket aren't they, I shall be going either today or tomorrow to get a few more before they start to spoil.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I can never understand why they are so expensive ! Good idea to get some before they are past their best.

    ReplyDelete