Followers

Thursday 28 September 2017

Pantry Stocktake !



I am starting to think about the menu plan for October so I can go shopping at the end of the week. The first thing I always do is have a look through all the cupboards, fridge and freezer to check what we have already !

The freezer is so full of fruit and vegetables that I will have to give it a good sort out and store all the same type together for easy access. It is also a bit confusing that I'm re-using the packaging for some things, so had to pull out a lot of packages to look at the label in order to decide was it Apple or margarine for instance, Blackberries or ice cream ?

The next thing was to check the pantry shelves, still lots of crisp breads and dried dates but also a packet of semolina which has been knocking around for ages with the thought that I will do something with it. No-one likes semolina pudding and I think I may have bought it to make the roast potatoes crispy ! However, I keep forgetting to use it and think this will have to be the month where it gets used or composted !

I also have masses of jam and marrow chutney but not really anything left to base a meal around apart from half a bag of chickpeas and a few lentils and dried peas. I'm often out working over supper time so need to leave a meal ready to serve so that often limits what you can plan. The other thing I was thinking of was that now the seasons are chugging it is also a good idea to have a few stores in so that you can still eat even if you can't get to the shops for a few days because of bad weather or illness. I've still got quite a few tins of chopped tomatoes but only 6 tins of baked beans, so I'll also aim to build up the stocks a bit.

The other thing to think about is whether you want to start adding a few special items for the end of year holidays. I've already got a few bottle of grape juice stashed and some elderflower cordial in the cupboard but will be keeping an eye out for baking supplies and a turkey !

How are your stores ?

2 comments:

  1. Use semolina as a coating instead of breadcrumbs, mix with other flour to make biscuits or savoury crackers....pizza dough, bread? Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, you have so many good ideas Pam ! Thank you very much !

    ReplyDelete