Followers

Monday 18 September 2017

Update on September Resolutions 2


This is the third week in September and I continue to make progress on the September resolutions I posted at the start of the month.

1. I will menu plan for the cheapest meals possible. This is still going really well with over £80 left in the budget from an overall start of £170. I will have to top up the lunch account today, but that should last all week. MissShoestring had some leftovers from when we were away that she has gifted us, including couple of salmon steaks, so that was very nice of her.

2. I will use up the produce in the garden. The pumpkins have been put away and we have harvested the last few courgettes I think. There are still some leeks and one or two more cucumbers and marrows to come. The raspberries keep on coming and I froze 5 pounds of blackberries last week. We have been picking up windfall apples after those storms last week and still have one more tree of russets to deal with.

3. I will use up the craft stash for Christmas gifts. Still no progress on this one, whenever I have the urge to continue to work on the hat I started something else came up, so maybe this week !

4. I will plan ahead to give gifts early to save on Christmas postage costs. Same with this one, no progress, but I did use free stamps for a birthday present !

5. I will take my own food and drink to college. So busy at college this week that I got knocked over in the foyer. I was very glad that the lunch was protected in a rigid plastic box and a stainless steel, unbreakable flask. If it had been the usual glass-lined ones, it would definitely have broken.

6. I will top up MasterShoestring's lunch account before he runs out of money! Yes, I have remembered to do this, so he gets a discount in the cafeteria.

7. I will sell some of our surplus garage stuff. I did not end up selling all the surplus stuff but gave it away to a younger girl we know and the charity shops. It is nice to think of the next generation of children having outdoor fun on roller blades and a unicycle. I still have a boy's bike to get rid of, so that might go on Gumtree.

8. I will sell some more surplus books. I sold one book for a good price and was able to use the money to buy a book for my course.

9. I will find the best home for our savings. Still working on this as it looks like a bit of work that MrShoestring has been doing might come to an end and then we might need to have access to the savings, so will wait and see what is best to do.

10. I will find a cheap way to add to garden fertility for next year . Looked at buying cover crops and manure and decided that we might be best to put in some more seeds that we still have and cover them with a plastic cover to provide some more vegetables over the winter. We had success with lettuce in the past, so might start with that.

How are you doing this month?

4 comments:

  1. I like the idea of your list of goals. Think I will do this for next month. What course are you doing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Eloise,

    I'm doing a counselling course in an effort to switch from teaching to school counselling. I'm thinking of doing a 'stop spending challenge' next month instead of 'stop smoking' !

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was a mature student at uni for three years from 2013 to 2016. I absolutely loved it. Good luck with your challenge. It seems that almost every time I try to stop spending some kind of emergency expenditure becomes necessary!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A great set of goals you have in place.

    ReplyDelete