Followers

Monday 15 January 2018

January Challenge 2


This week we only spent £10.01 on groceries and £10 on topping up MasterShoestring's lunch account. So, at present the grocery spend for the month is at £73.02 with 2 weeks and 3 days to go. MasterShoestring is definitely eating more at lunch and I don't won't to have to tell him to eat less as he is very slim already ! So I'm going to budget to spend around £10 a week for the following weeks as well and that way we should still come in well under budget !

This week I checked prices on MySupermarket.com and worked out whether it was worth paying the petrol money to visit Aldi. This week it would have cost money as Tesco was able to match prices on some things, like 69p for rye crisp breads and 49p for tomatoes so I went there as it is much closer. We needed parcel tape but I decided that I wasn't going to be posting anymore parcels this month and I can wait until I am in the big town and then get it at a pound shop. This freed up enough money to buy dried yeast and rye crisp breads. I also got bananas, fruit for lunches, tomatoes, live yoghurt and some milk. We didn't need anything else and there were no really cheap yellow-stickered bargains so I stuck to the list.

I got an email from Approved Foods trying to tempt me back again, saying that I could have free delivery. However, when I went to the website you had to spend £55 to qualify, since that is not in the budget it was an easy decision to click away again. I think I've said before that I do not think that Approved Foods are the bargain they once were and this sort of promotion does nothing to convince me to try them again !

4 comments:

  1. I have used Approved Foods a few times in the past. Since moving here though I can get many of the same products, still well in date, from Poundstretcher and Home Bargains at the same and lower prices.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right, I think both of those stores offer great value for money and quality products !

    ReplyDelete
  3. No Approved Foods, here. I did place an order with Walmart to see how they did. The order came in the two days promised. But, one item wasn’t what I ordered and I was disappointed in another. Lesson learned. Walmart is an hour away so it was worth the test.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, in the US we used Walmart quite a bit but I always went to the store and was picky about what I got ! Sorry to hear that some items were disappointing, but as you say, at least you know now !

    ReplyDelete