Followers

Monday 29 January 2018

January Challenge 4


The final update on our grocery challenge for this month and I have good news ! The final total, including school lunches is just under £115 ! That means we saved £55 on the normal budget of £170, which will definitely help to fill the dent made by the Boxing Day parking ticket !

In fact we still have quite a bit of food in the freezer, especially fruit and vegetables from the garden, so I've made a menu plan for February where I also hope to save some money in the grocery category of the budget. I'm not sure whether it will be as much as £55, but I'm certainly going to give it a try !

Overall, we spent just over £30 on school lunches, which means that the total for the rest of us comes down to just under £85 and since this also includes household necessities, such as washing up liquid and toilet paper, I think we did pretty well. However, we have run out of quite a few things, like coffee and syrup, so there will be a bit of stocking up to do and a few substitutions to be made to make sure that things like cheese and oil stretch until Thursday when February begins !

I found it an interesting exercise to try and use recipes where we used up things we had and I don't think before I tried the challenge I would have thought that it was possible to get the budget any lower for the 4 of us and still stay healthy, but we did it !

If you are interested in on-going challenges there are a couple of interesting blogs who are trying to keep the grocery spending really low all year, I have found them very inspiring this month. The first is:-

A Challenging Year on a Welsh Hillside
http://achallengingyearonawelshhillside.blogspot.co.uk

and the second is :-
The 1940s Experiment
https://the1940sexperiment.com

Now, to go and reckon up the rest of this month's spending !



No comments:

Post a Comment