Followers

Saturday 10 February 2018

A Nice Freebie


A free magazine, the size of a paperback book dropped through the letterbox yesterday. It was a free copy of The Countryman magazine that I had ordered a couple of weeks back. There was a great picture of a Scottish wildcat on the front cover which reminded me of the time we saw them wild up in the Grampians. These wildcats are very shy so we were especially lucky to see them !

As well as the article about wildcats there was also one celebrating different folklore traditions which I found interesting because although it was all about the tar barrel festival in Allendale it reminded me of the one that is held in Stonehaven Aberdeenshire, close to where we lived. In addition to that one, there are 13 other well-written articles about the countryside in the magazine and almost no adverts, only a few at the start and the end.

The photographs are great and there was even a good recipe for Homity Pie which I shall try out next week when everyone is home for half term.

The magazine is normally £3.99 an issue so I was glad that I got it for free ! Keep a look out for it as I've often seen copies in libraries and at jumble sales and it is well worth a read !

2 comments:

  1. That sounds like an interesting read. I won’t find that magazine here, (USA), but I do head for the magazines at the thrift stores and yard sales. I used to be that person who spent too much money on bookstore magazines. No more! I hate to think of the money wasted.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I was just like that too and must admit that I was sometimes guilty of spending too much on books and magazines at thrift shops as well ! But, l have a budget now and use it to order books and magazines via the library which keeps costs right down, anything not available there has to be a gift or ordered with Amazon vouchers from Swagbucks !

    ReplyDelete