Followers

Tuesday 13 February 2018

Off to the Cinema



Over the past week I have become quite interested in Winston Churchill after hearing the story of how he destroyed his 80th birthday portrait painted by Graham Sutherland. So when we had the chance to see this film for free last night I jumped at it.

The story concerns the time in Churchill's life just after he had become Prime Minister in World War II and must decide what to do. Should he try and negotiate for peace or fight on alone ? I don't think I had ever realised that there were lots of people who thought Britain should sue for peace with the Nazis, so that was quite surprising !

The film was very well-acted and had Kristin Scott Thomas playing Clementine Churchill and she was very good. There were also beautiful sets, lots of political intrigue and some great camera work. However, a few of the scenes were quite unbelievable, like I don't think Churchill ever rode the Underground to find out what the people thought about the war !

We really enjoyed the film and it gave us lots of ideas about what to visit next, the War Cabinet Rooms,  Chartwell etc., so if you do get the chance to see it I thoroughly recommend it !




2 comments:

  1. I’d love to see this! I’ve heard nothing but great things!
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is quite funny in places as well, so I hope you do get the chance to go !

    ReplyDelete