Followers

Sunday 11 February 2018

Make Do and Mend


Quite a few of the blogs I read have been referring to the thrifty ways of people who lived through World War II and I also have a little collection of books about that time which I have found to be full of frugal tips. One of them is shown above, but just for fun I thought I would go and count them all. I was very surprised to discover that I have over 20 !

All of the books are useful and are not just kept sitting on the shelf but used regularly.


For instance, the "Dig for Victory" books by Mr. Middleton are out just now as we plan the garden for this year !


This cookbook is my favourite of the wartime ones as it contains recipes that were cooked towards the end of and just after the war, when rationing went on but a few things were a bit more readily available. This means the family are more likely to enjoy the recipes whereas I've never had any repeat requests for 'Mock Banana' sandwiches made from parsnips, which feature in one of the other books I have !

Do you have any books from the 40s and 50s which are still in use regularly ?



No comments:

Post a Comment