Followers

Friday 16 March 2018

Frugal Friday


Friday again and I think we had quite a quiet week on the money-saving front as I have been working on an assignment for college in all my free moments !

Last weekend we moved the lettuce, radish and tomato seedlings out of the window sill in the house and onto staging in the polytunnel. We did this because such warm temperatures were predicted for this week, so fingers crossed that they survive the big dip in temperature over the weekend. The only thing left indoors now are some alpine strawberry seedlings which are still too small to go into the big tunnel.

I spent very little at the supermarket and whilst I was there picked up a free local newspaper and a free magazine with a few interesting recipes to keep for Easter. We also got a free Sunday newspaper this week as MissShoestring gave us her vouchers, she only wants to read the paper online. We gave up the Sunday paper when we had a family as it was too difficult to read it with all of them round ! Now they are nearly all grown-up it was quite a treat to have one !

I downloaded a free ebook and went to the library in the next village to fetch MrShoestring the next book in the series he is reading, that saved us the library reservation fee. I also cancelled a library reservation I had, as it won't come in time now for the assignment I'm writing because the deadline is this coming week. That meant I got the reservation fee refunded.

We ate quite a few leftovers this week and I put half the vegetable curry I made into the freezer for later. We also made chapattis, bread, yoghurt, granola, sticky toffee pudding, peach cake, pizza, leek and potato soup, quiche and pancakes. We bought more potatoes from the farm shop at 40p a kilo, making this a saving on the supermarket prices.

MrShoestring changed the battery in my watch himself using a battery we had bought the last time I needed one as they are cheaper in multi-packs. Doing it ourselves saved around £8 as it is quite expensive getting the jeweller or Timpsons to do it round here.

We have a quiet weekend planned as I must finish that assignment ! Nothing like work for stopping you spending !

No comments:

Post a Comment