Followers

Friday 30 March 2018

Good Friday Frugal Round Up


Here's hoping the weather is a bit better than yesterday when the rain came down in stair rods ! Traditionally we work outside all morning on Good Friday, but this Easter I think the ground is too wet. So we shall just have to stay inside and make some hot cross buns to eat for supper !

I did take advantage of the supermarkets selling cheap vegetables to pick up some carrots and parsnips for Sunday, at only 33p a bag. I also menu planned and shopped for April having done a huge stock take of what we already have. I only spent £34.65 and the aim in April will be to keep this as low as possible.

I went to the library in the next village on my way somewhere else, to collect some books for MrShoestring and so avoided the reservation fees.

I also used book tokens and Love2Shop vouchers from the postal survey to pay for some things I need for my course next term. This effectively meant they were free.

There were some good offers in the Kindle free books, the complete works of Charles Dickens and the complete works of George Macdonald. So I got those, ready for reading in the summer on holiday ! Even I couldn't get through that many novels in 2 weeks !

We have a funeral to attend next week, 400 miles from home, so we researched the cheapest way to get there and the cheapest way to stay when we arrive. We shall also be packing picnics and helping out with lifts etc. in effort to help others too. Funerals are an enormous expense and I do think there should be more information about how to save for them or get just the basic services you need. It is a difficult time to be thinking about saving money but unfortunately I think that people are often paying more than they should.

I hope you have a happy start to the weekend !

2 comments:

  1. We made a hot cross(less) bun loaf this morning, just had a slice and it's scrumptious.

    Yes I agree, the cost of funerals is scandalous, you feel pressurised or obligated to have all sorts of things at a time when you're feeling particularly vulnerable. The reality is you don't actually have to have a lot of it at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad the loaf was good, I always eat it and think this is so tasty we should make it more often !

    Yes, I really dislike all that pressure when people are so vulnerable, it would be good if that would start to change !

    ReplyDelete