Followers

Tuesday 29 May 2018

Freezer Inventory



So there is a nice lot of rhubarb growing in the garden now but before I pick any I thought that I should check on exactly how much I still have in the freezer. It turned out that I still have 4lbs from last year, so I think that I will try and use that up before I pick any more. I was reassured that you can go on picking rhubarb into the summer, so I don't think that we will run short !

I also inventoried the rest of the fruit and vegetables we had preserved last year and discovered that we still have 16lbs of stewed apple; 16lbs blackberries; 7lbs summer fruits; 12 packets courgettes; 4lbs pumpkin and 11lbs of jam ! So using the rhubarb for jam isn't going to be helpful ! Usually I also make my own elderflower cordial but with the flowers already on the trees I can see that I'm not going to manage that this year !

June's menu plan is going to include a lot of these items so that I can defrost the freezer and get ready for storing this year's bounty. It should make making the menu plan very easy but I'll have to be careful, as too many courgettes on the menu and the family will rebel ! Also hot weather means that people don't want to eat so many crumbles or muffins. I have found one of my US cook books uses apple sauce instead of fat in lots of the recipes so I can see that I shall be making good use of that next month.

What would you do with all last year's bounty ? I'm just going to be grateful I think !


No comments:

Post a Comment