Followers

Monday 2 April 2018

April Challenge 1


There are currently quite a lot of leftovers lying around ! In fact so many that they are covering up the kitchen table, the fridge is full and I have quite a large victoria sandwich cake covered in cream sitting in the utility room, as that is the only room cool enough to keep it, I can't fit it in the fridge !

With plenty of leftovers and two freezers still full of produce I think the April challenge should be an easy one. In addition to the ' spend nothing on gifts or entertainment' and 'nothing on adult clothing' this year, April is going to be the month of spending £21 a week on groceries, or preferably less ! I'm not going to include MasterShoestring's school lunches in the challenge and it is only going to be amounts spent on food that I shall be counting. The overall grocery budget also includes household items such as rubbish bags and toilet rolls, so I'm not going to include spending on those sort of items in the challenge.

That means that the £35.94 I have already spent for this week needs to come out of an overall budget of £84 for the 4 weeks of April. This means that I have £48.06 left to spend, giving a budget of around £12 a week. I have made a menu plan and barring unexpected events or hordes of guests this should work and mean that I can finally defrost one of the freezers and turn it off by the end of the month. Fingers crossed that this works and none of the produce has freezer burn !

The menu plan contains plenty of tasty meals, unlike an April fool I saw on someone else's frugal blog yesterday, which was suggesting replacing tins of tuna with tins of cat food and had pictures of what you could make to add to its authenticity ! I hope everyone realised that it was an April Fool !

2 comments:

  1. Cat food instead of tuna! Oh my word.

    Good luck with your challenge, but with the amount of food you have in leftovers and full freezers, even £12 pw shouldn't be too much of a problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have to say that I read the post twice before I was absolutely sure it was an April fool ! I'm looking forward to seeing how far £12 will stretch !

      Delete