We did really well with finding firewood this weekend as the builders are still working on the house which is being renovated. It is very kind of them to put out all the spare wood rather than throwing it into the skip.
However, we had to work a bit harder this week as there was also lots of scrap wood which was not suitable for burning. Anything with varnish on or which has been treated in any way should not go into the wood stove but rather on to a bonfire. This is because it can create fumes and residue in your chimney which can lead to a chimney fire.
So I spent quite a bit of time in the rain picking through the pile. I only took the untreated wood which did not have any nails in it, as Mr Shoestring has already pulled out a lot of nails. They are sitting in a little pile by the wood burner !
Later on, Mr Shoestring went back for the big pallet which the pile had been sitting on and now the garage contains a sizeable pile of wood for him to cut up in the dry. I do recommend gloves for this sort of thing as I did not have them on Saturday and got cold, muddy hands !